Yoga at Fort Massey United Church
Join us for Restorative Yoga at Fort Massey United Church every Tuesday evening from 6:30 PM to 7:45 PM in the lower hall. If you’re new to yoga or just new to Yoga at the Fort, please try to arrive 15 minutes early.
“The Fort” is on the corner of Tobin and Queen Streets in the South End of Halifax. 5303 Tobin Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3H 1S3. The door to the lower hall is on the Tobin Street side.
About the Tuesday yoga class
This 75-minute yoga class is one of Fort Massey’s regular community events, and while no two weeks will be exactly the same (kinda like us humans), here’s what you can expect:
- a brief welcome and a gentle warm-up promptly at 6:30 PM
- several slow and steady Sun Salutation A sequences (read more about Surya Namaskar on the Sunrise Yoga Class page and the difference between Surya Namaskar A & B at Yogapedia
- a mix of easy breath work, balance, back care & strengthening postures (asanas)
- … and the best part: savasana
- This class is not suitable for pregnant women.
How it works
- Tuesday’s Yoga class is by donation so don’t let a lean spell keep you from coming — we’ve all been there. The suggested contribution is $10.
- If you’re new to yoga or just new to Fort Massey Church yoga, please try to arrive 15 minutes early.
- If you have injuries or concerns about your ability to practise yoga, see your healthcare provider first. There are modifications to make most asanas [postures] accessible to most able-bodied yogis but ultimately you’re responsible to ensure you practise within your limits.
- It’s best to practise yoga on an empty stomach. Seriously.
- If you have any other questions email Andrew, ring me on 902-220-1495 or see if the Indri Yoga FAQs page sorts it out for you.
- If you’re looking for the secret to life, it’s “A wet bird never flies at night.”
What to bring
- Bring your own yoga mat (there are about four at Fort Massey if you’re stuck), water, and a gym towel if you’re prone to sweating.
- It can be cool-ish (18°-ish) in the lower hall in winter so please dress appropriately.